Don’t Let Stink Bugs Leave A Stench In Your Home
Stink bugs are a common nuisance in many households and can often be difficult to get rid of. These pesky pests can make their way into your home and leave a dreaded stench behind. If you are wondering how to avoid this problem or how to properly get rid of them, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will discuss the tips and tricks to keeping stink bugs out of your home and how to eliminate them once they make their way in.
What are Stink Bugs?
Stink bugs, also known as the brown marmorated stink bug (BMSB), are a type of insect that live off of plant matter. They are about 5-7 mm in length and have a thick, triangular body with a black shield strapped across their back. Stink bugs are notorious for their foul odor, a stench they release as a form of self-defense when threatened or disturbed.
Where Do Stink Bugs Come From?
Stink bugs primarily come from the outdoors and are common in gardens, flower beds and other places where there is plenty of soil for them to feed and hide. They are attracted to warmth and light, so they will often enter homes in the fall and try to find ways to get in. Stink bugs can easily make their way through tiny and unnoticable holes, making them hard to fully prevent from entering.
What Attracts Stink Bugs?
Stink bugs are attracted to various things. Homeowners should take note and be extra careful in the following areas to keep stink bugs out:
- Light: Stink bugs are drawn towards light, such as outdoor and porch lights. Switching to yellow sodium vapor lights can help to reduce the attractiveness.
- Gardens: Gardens and flower beds provide plenty of food and shelter for stink bugs, so it is important to regularly check these areas and take any necessary precautions.
- Cracks and Gaps: Any tiny cracks and gaps, both outside and indoors, need to be sealed as these can provide entry points for stink bugs to get in.
How Can I Get Rid of Stink Bugs?
Once the stink bugs have made their way into your home, there are several tried and true methods of elimination. Here are some of the more popular methods:
- Insecticide/Sprays: Insecticidal sprays are designed to kill the bugs, however, it can also be dangerous for humans and pets. Homeowners should use extra caution when dealing with these products.
- Vacuum: Vacuuming up the bugs is the simplest and safest way to get rid of them. However, it is important to note that the bag should be thrown away immediately after vacuuming.
- Traps: Stink bug traps are a popular method of capturing and eliminating the bugs without having to use any dangerous chemicals.
Moving furniture: Stink bugs tend to hide in furniture, so shifting it around or even outside in warm temperatures can help to force them out.
People Also Ask:
- What time of year do stink bugs appear?
- How do you get rid of stink bugs in the house?
- How do you keep stink bugs away?
- What smells do stink bugs hate?
- Are stink bugs poisonous?
- Stink bugs tend to appear in the fall and winter months.
- Vacuuming, using insecticides, stink bug traps, and moving furniture are all effective ways to get rid of stink bugs.
- Avoid leaving outdoor lights on, trim vegetation away from your home, seal any open cracks and gaps, and clean up any trash or debris around your home.
- Stink bugs hate strong smells such as peppermint, citrus, and vinegar.
- No, stink bugs are not poisonous.
Stink bugs are pesky pests that can be difficult to get rid of. While prevention is key, knowing the different ways to eliminate them can be helpful should they ever make their way into your home. With these tips, you will be equipped to combat the dreaded stench of stink bugs and keep your home free of this pungent odor.